GitHub could be acquired by Microsoft

Kapps opantm2+spam at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 00:54:08 UTC 2018

On Friday, 8 June 2018 at 22:06:29 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/8/2018 3:02 PM, Brad Roberts wrote:
>> Essentially (if not actually) everything on github is
>> available through their api's.  No need for scraping or other
>> heroics to gather it.
>
> That's good to know! The situation I was concerned with is it
> going dark all of a sudden.
>
> BTW, if someone wants to build a scraper that'll produce static
> web pages of the dlang PR discussions, that would be pretty
> cool!

There's plenty of third party tools that archive GitHub.

For example, https://www.gharchive.org/. GitHub advertises some
of them at
https://help.github.com/articles/about-archiving-content-and-data-on-github/#third-party-archival-projects and https://help.github.com/articles/backing-up-a-repository/.

Personally I think the fear of Microsoft ruining GitHub is
completely unfounded. Just look at what they did to Xamarin. They
bought an interesting product and then made it free for
individuals, open sourced it, and improved it drastically. And
they sure do hate Linux nowadays with dotnet CORE being partially
to improve Linux / cross-platform support.