I have a plan.. I really DO

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Sat Jun 30 03:02:15 UTC 2018

On Friday, 29 June 2018 at 22:54:34 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Friday, 29 June 2018 at 07:03:52 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>
>> P.S. I mean what you think the future of native code is???
>> Rust? Crystal?? Nim???
>
> The future of native code will be replacing scripting
> languages. D is really good at that task.

This will never happen, doesn't matter how good D is at it, they
will always be better because they sacrifice performance for ease
of use.

> The future of native code will not be one language. I don't
> know why the discussion always turns to that, because it goes
> against the steady increase in the number of good languages
> that are available. Different folks have different preferences,
> many of us use multiple languages, and our preferences change
> over our lifetimes. These days language interoperability is
> getting so good that "choosing a language" is becoming
> obsolete. If we keep reducing the obstacles to using D, the
> number of users will continue to grow.

Yep, agreed.

> WRT donating money, isn't it natural to explain what will be
> done with the money? There's been some movement in the
> direction of transparency. I'll only say there's more to be
> done in that area and leave it at that.

Let me echo this: transparency has historically been a big
problem for D.  AFAIK, nobody in the broader community was ever
told that the D foundation money would be used to fund a bunch of
Romanian interns, it just happened. In the end, it appears to
have worked out great, but why would anybody donate without being
given transparency on where the money was going in the first
place, when it could have ended badly?

I understand Andrei had connections with that Romanian
university, but some donor might have had connections with a
Brazilian or Chinese university that might have worked out even
better. We'll never explore such connections and alternatives
without transparency.

The current move to fund some IDE work with Opencollective is
better in that regard, but with no concrete details on what it
entails, not significantly better:

https://forum.dlang.org/post/pxwxhhbuburvddnhacgh@forum.dlang.org

Anyway, I don't use such IDEs, so not a reason for me to donate
anyway.

Honestly, Dmitry's posts starting this thread are incoherent, I'm
not sure what he was trying to say. If he feels D users should be
donating much more, he and others need to make clear how that
money will be spent.