Release D 2.079.0

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 12:57:36 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 7 March 2018 at 10:13:29 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:

> Well, for all of the recent releases we made sure that there
> was no breakage for new compiler versions. This release was an
> exception, because I didn't manage to put out the fixed release
> in time. The plan is to have all future releases go back to the
> normal mode where the new compiler version always works.
>
> Since std.experimental isn't involved from now on, it shouldn't
> even be necessary anymore to put out new vibe.d releases for
> new DMD versions, because DMD/Phobos already checks for
> regressions against vibe.d and all breaking changes should
> simply result in a deprecation warning.

That's fine, thanks.

> As for the versioning scheme, currently almost all new releases
> have some small breaking change or deprecation. If I'd use the
> "minor" version for that, then there would be no way to signal
> that a release makes broad and more disruptive changes, such as
> the 0.8.0 release. But all of this will change, as the
> remaining parts get pushed to separate repositories one-by-one,
> with their own version starting at 1.0.0.

I understand your reasoning, but there's value in being able to
just rapidly fix something with a new release, or just port some
master bug-fixes into a released version branch.

DMD is experiencing a very enjoyable release process of patch
versions, thanks to Martin and the team.

It your concern is only related to the best way to inform the
users about a broad and disruptive change in vibe-d, I suggest to
simply use the usual channels for that, change logs and announce
forum.

My impression is that there's a lot of value in using patch for
patch, instead of using patch for development, also in a zero
major, so I maybe you should consider that change, or at least,
investigate a little about that opportunity.

/Paolo