Vision document for H1 2018

rumbu rumbu at rumbu.ro
Sun Mar 11 19:58:51 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 11 March 2018 at 17:15:28 UTC, Seb wrote:
> I assume you are using Windows?

Yes, I'm the typical lazy convenient Windows user scared of the
terminal window.

> Setup on Posix is really simple.
> git clone all three repos + run make.

I am happy for Posix users. Theoretically the process is the same
on Windows.

> There's also a bash script to automate this:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/tools/blob/master/setup.sh

This will need Linux subsystem as a Windows feature installed.
Bash scripts do not work on Windows. Or other third party
applications that are not listed as prerequisites on wiki.

> From what I heard it's a bit tricky on Windows. I only tried
> with wine and that worked out-of-the-box for me. Execute the
> DMD installer, set PATH, DM_HOME and HOST_DC and then run the
> win32 makefiles work fine.

make -fwin32.mak release
Error: don't know how to make 'release'

Ok, let's skip this, make it without "release".

Now test it:

cd test
make all -j8
Command error: undefined switch '-j8'

> What could be done from your perspective to make the setup
> easier?

 From my perspective I would like to have an working setup, not
necessary easier. But if interested, to contribute to C#
compiler, you just need to open roslyn.sln in Visual Studio, make
your modification, run the test suite, commit, you're done.