The D Language Foundation at Open Collective

Martin Tschierschke mt at smartdolphin.de
Wed Mar 14 12:48:44 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 14 March 2018 at 12:00:42 UTC, Seb wrote:
> On Wednesday, 14 March 2018 at 11:51:04 UTC, Martin
> Tschierschke wrote:
[...]
>> And last but not least place a small donate button on every
>> page!
>
> Not sure whether that's a good idea, it might look a bit needy.
> We already have a donate button on the front page since a few
> weeks though.

Yes, the button at the bottom is good, but it took me quite a
while before I scrolled down...
I think it is not wrong to ask for money, if you make clear what
it will be used for.
So only "please donate" is not good.
But if you say, D is an free language not backed up by one big
corporate, you may help to keep it evolve and free for ever...
The next ...$ will be used to ... supporting ... additional
students to optimize ... and to run our server infrastructure, to

>> With 500 people participating in the survey there should be
>> the chance to boost up the impact of D with more manpower and
>> money.
>
> Yeah, the idea is that 5$ a month isn't much (~ one coffee in
> most countries), but if 500 people donate one coffee a month,
> you get the entire coffee machine with a warp engine :)
I made the same calculation :-)