Vision document for H1 2018

rumbu rumbu at rumbu.ro
Thu Mar 15 18:39:08 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 15 March 2018 at 17:17:47 UTC, Dukc wrote:
> On Sunday, 11 March 2018 at 07:59:53 UTC, rumbu wrote:
>> My opinion is that the day when C# will compile to native (on
>> any platform), the C# developer interest in D will drop
>> instantly.
>
> I do write a commerical project in C#. But I have an opposite
> feeling: The day D will easily compile to Javascript and be
> able to fully interface with it, my wish to use C# will drop
> pretty much instantly. I'm not even sure I would choose C# over
> -BetterC D!
>
> It can already compile to Javascript using LDC/Emscripten,
> which is impressive, but you cannot interface with its strings
> and classes without glue code, except perhaps with some
> trickery. I have already tried doing some but so far for no
> avail.
>
> And that's not to say that C# would be a bad language. I didn't
> hesistate to pick it over writing Javascript directly, and I
> don't think Java or Python would be superior for my tastes
> either. But it still isn't even a close match against D.
>
> First, C# feels like it's hiding details from me, it kind of
> wants to maintain an ivory tower illusion. It's very hard, if
> possible at all, to control memory management. Libraries often
> feel like they're dependant on IDE (Visual Studio), not just
> the language.
>
> Second, iterating in C# feels last-century standard. I like
> LINQ, but it still is like Phobos with only forward ranges,
> strange names and no thought put on avoiding needless heap
> allocations. And it's foreach loop can't iterate by ref, which
> means I often tend to iterate as if I was using C.
>
> Third, expressive power suffers alot from lack of powerful
> templates, Voldemort types and var keyword being much more
> constrained in use than auto.

My quote is out of context. Somebody asked surprised why C#
developers are interested in D. For me (mainly a C# developer),
this is the main reason: native compilation (and this includes
memory management). I highlighted the fact that the C# team keep
implementing D specific ideas in each new version, so don't be
surprised if your list of D exclusive features becomes smaller
with each new C# iteration. My complaint was the fact that D
drops features or push them into library solutions.