The D Language Foundation at Open Collective

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Mar 19 03:12:52 UTC 2018

On 03/18/2018 04:18 PM, Tony wrote:
> On Thursday, 15 March 2018 at 12:36:24 UTC, Meta wrote:
>

>> Sorry to derail, but I had to ask: where does 1 coffee (even extra
>> large) cost $5 USD? Let me know so I know to never move there.
>
> I have seen regular coffee at $4.50 and as high as $5.50 in the USA (and
> not always a large), but in order to get there, it has to be "single cup
> pour over" made, as opposed to coming out of a machine into a pot. And
> the beans have to be organic or they are telling you exactly where they
> were grown and giving you alleged "flavor notes" and maybe they roasted
> them in-house or locally, and the place has to have an upscale or luxury
> vibe. But Starbucks in the USA gives you a 20oz out-of-a-machine for
> under $3. McDonald's beats everybody - $1 for a large. Although I am not
> a big fan of the McDonalds coffee (maybe psychological due to the low
> price). 7/11 convenience stores and Chevron gas stations both have
> several varieties of coffee on tap that they sell for under $2 for a
> large, that I think tastes good.

McDonald's and Wendy's both have pretty good coffee, but the catch is
they often let it sit around far too long, at which point it can get
pretty bad. So it's kind of coffee roulette. (And McDonalds $1/large
thing seems to have gone away, I think it was just a temporary
promotion. At least around here, anyway (Cleveland area, in the US)).

I'll never understand the whole "pour over" coffee movement. It's
basically the same exact technique everyone's the cheap consumer level
coffee machine already does far more conveniently: Hot water poured over
coffee grounds sitting in a filter. I've been to one of those pour over
places, and it was mediocre at best (not to mention slow and expensive).
I've had better coffee from fast food joints. But then again, I've never
been very hipster-compatible ;) There's a couple (non-fast food) chains
we have around here, Panera and Arabica, that make some of the best
coffee I've ever had, without doing the whole pour-over fad, for about $2.