Vulkan ErupteD breaking changes and transition strategy

Anton Fediushin fediushin.anton at yandex.ru
Mon Mar 26 12:22:25 UTC 2018

On Monday, 26 March 2018 at 11:13:03 UTC, ParticlePeter wrote:
> I strongly believe that the generator can be made fail safe, so
> that the produced binding is error free. I will elaborate a
> little more about the greater plan at the bottom, I just didn't
> think that anyone is interested in it.

Well, I am interested in it - Vulkan is cool and so is D.

> Here I was hoping for a little more attentive reading, the
> bugfix (if any bugs happen in the end) for v1.1.70 would be
> v1.1.71 (as in "point seven ONE") -bugfix.1. I would hope for
> community colaboration to always use prerelease. Not sure if
> this is the best idea, as it cannot be specified in dub
> dependency afaics, but only on dub upgrade. That might actually
> be expecting to much from users. I'll think about it.

But then 1.1.71 without `-bugfix.1` will be a binding to vulkan
v1.1.71? That doesn't make any sense.

> Dah again, no it cannot. Could it be that you are talking about
> DEPRECATED ErupteD? Please compare [0] and [1], and their
> project names.

I'm talking about erupted-v1.

>>> I am really sorry for that, I have an idea what might be
>>> wrong. Please, if you don't min, post an issue with the
>>> error. I hope that in this alpha stage of ErupteD-V2, where
>>> some poo poo was expected to hit the fan, it would be ok to
>>> move the semvers. Actually, if you use ErupteD as a
>>> submodule, why do care about semvers at all?
>>
>> Because dub can notify about new version. That's why it exists
>> in the first place
>
> Sorry, here I cannot follow any more, so why are you using it
> then as a submodule again?

Erupted_v1 has a configuration which uses old derelict-util. Even
though I use derelict-glfw to load vulkan, dub downloads both old
derelict-util and the new one used by derelict-glfw. This results
in warnings because versions mismatch (erupted wants old one
while derelict-glfw uses newest).

I opened an issue about erupted-v2 on linux as well:
https://github.com/ParticlePeter/Erupted-V2/issues/1

> The GREATER Plan - as promised
> ------------------------------
>
> I want to evolve and learn more about techniques which I have
> never touched before. This is already great I would think. But
> fun aside, I would like to look into full automation.
>
> 1.) get informed about vulkan-docs updates, trigger automated
> build process with V-Erupt. Is this possible? Don't know, want
> to find out.

I think it is possible.

> 2.) setup auto testing for ErupteD-V2. If fail, get informed.
> Else apply version tag, the same as vulkan-docs. Is this
> possible? Don't know, want to find out.

It is possible but tests are required. More tests - better.