D compilation is too slow and I am forking the compiler

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 28 13:34:58 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 28 November 2018 at 12:48:46 UTC, Laeeth Isharc
wrote:
> I think that there are different strategies - decent appeal to
> a broad market and having a very high appeal to a small market
> (but there has better be something good about your potential
> customer base ie 'D, if you find VBA too difficult' is probably
> not a good strategy!).  And you probably don't get to pick
> which situation you are in, and then one had better realise it
> and play the game you're in.  The particular kind of market
> will shape what works - in my business you approach a retail
> client base differently from regular institutional investors
> and then the worlds' largest pools of money involved something
> else again.
>
> D isn't really marketed and it's definitely not sold.  That's
> an implicit strategy in itself.

But one doesn't decide to have no strategy (at least if they any
common sense!), one simply has no strategy. Unfortunately I think
D falls into the latter, certainly not more than "Build it and
they will come", irrespective of it effectiveness.

>> Actually no less than 3 programmer friends came to (I'm the
>> weirdo-using-D and people are _always_ in disbelief and invent
>> all sorts of reasons not to try) saying they saw an article on
>> D on HN, with "D compilation is slow", and on further
>> examination they didn't read or at best the first paragraph.
>> But they did remember the title. They may rationally think
>> their opinion of D hasn't changed: aren't we highly capable
>> people?

I hope so!

> It doesn't matter what most people think.  It matters what
> people who are on the fence or using D already a bit think.  Or
> people who have a lot of problems to which D is in part a
> solution only they didn't know about or think of D yet.

Then we should try to subtly (for some value of subtlety) make
ourselves noticed.