Meson support for Mir and Lubeck

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Sep 10 06:31:44 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2018-09-09 at 21:22 +0000, 9il via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:

[…]
> Looks like that only betterC projects are good enough to become
> Debian packages. Generally because of the have stable C ABI that
> does not depend on D compiler version at all.

I do not follow the logic here at all. Any and all projects with a CMake,
Meson, SCons, even Make build be Debian packages. Many Debian packages depend
on specific versions of things like GCC runtime or LLVM. The Debian packaging
system allows for many versions of libraries to co-exists. Thus supporting
multiple versions of Druntime and Phobos is possible.

[…]
> > I only worry about potential name clashes with Mir (the display
> > server) in Ubuntu ^^

This is going to be a naming problem. Debian has many of these sort of naming
clash and usually it is best for the smaller, newer project to accept that
they need to choose a non-clashing name. Recent example the Mu editor, but
there are many instances of this. D's Mir needs to choose a name that doesn't
clash with Canonical's Mir.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200