Five Projects Selected for SAOC 2019

Max Haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 17:32:30 UTC 2019

On Monday, 26 August 2019 at 18:51:54 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> On Sunday, 25 August 2019 at 13:38:24 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> The Symmetry Autumn of Code 2019 application selection process
>> has come to an end. This year, we've got five projects instead
>> of three. Congratulations to everyone who was selected! You
>> can read about them and their projects over at the D Blog:
>>
>> https://dlang.org/blog/2019/08/25/saoc-2019-projects-and-participants/
>
> Sorry, I haven't been following. Don't we already have an
> implementation of the "Create a CI or other infrastructure for
> measuring D’s progress and performance" project? I just haven't
> been maintaining it because there hasn't been a lot of interest
> in it while it was being maintained.
>
> Here's the original blog post:
>
> https://blog.thecybershadow.net/2015/05/05/is-d-slim-yet/
>
> I'll give it a kick and get it back online if there is
> interest. Seems wasteful to reimplement it from scratch, though.

I was aware of the site when i wrote the proposal, but the idea
is to create the infrastructure to add more measurements too,
e.g. profiling the compiler or testing it under limited memory (I
found out how much memory my CTFE thing was using the other
day!). Assuming I can get it to work I'd also like to throw the
Linux perf system in there too, but

As mentioned in the summary, this will extend to runtime
performance too but that obviously raises the question of how to
ensure consistent performance of the testing machine (or give a
relative figure).