Top Five World’s Most Underrated Programming Languages

Jacob Shtokolov jacob.100205 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 11:07:48 UTC 2019

On Friday, 25 January 2019 at 10:15:15 UTC, Martin Tschierschke
wrote:
> ( On my wish list at the top: An official D database connector.
> (MySql/MariaDB, Postgres, SQlite, MonetDB..) )
>
> What about trying to find and to fund a maintainer for this
> purpose?
> (Next funding goal Mike Parker?)

I think it requires an official API specification like DB-API in
Python.

Being a general-purpose programming language, D introduces some
fragmentation inside its community. For example, some people
don't want to use the GC, but some people do.

So the API probably need to take such points into consideration.

And I could say the same for HTTP-related standards. Take a look
at what PHP has:
https://www.php-fig.org/psr/psr-7/
https://www.php-fig.org/psr/psr-18/

Regarding the killer feature:

I have a strong feeling that D would perfectly fit the web
application development scenario.
The HTTP protocol is stateless by its nature, so it's
theoretically possible to use a region-based allocation strategy
for HTTP request handling. This is where the precise GC might
play a better role, BTW.

Also, D has much closer syntax to JavaScript, which means this
may help to decrease frustration switching between different
backend and frontend languages when you develop a web app (if I'm
correct, this problem is solved only in Clojure/ClojureScript
today).

In addition, I guess that it's totally possible to write a
TypeScript-like transpiler for D, which can help to bring type
safety to the frontend.