Spasm 0.1.3 released - with bindings to web apis

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 26 23:40:01 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 26 January 2019 at 10:24:05 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe
wrote:
> Spasm is a betterC library for web development that uses LDC to
> compile to WebAssembly, and I just released a major update.
>
> It now has bindings to most web api's, like the dom, fetch,
> audio, webgl, etc.
[...]
> See the repo for more info: https://github.com/skoppe/spasm
>
> It is still a WIP but I am getting there.

This is really cool; nice work!

Over the past 6 months I've been working a lot with .Net's WASM
implementation, code-named Blazor.  I estimate I can build GUI
applications at 20% the development cost, while also getting
portability, and a more rich features set (alpha transparency,
flow layout, SVG, video, GL, etc...).   Bundled with Electron, it
makes for a convenient cross-platform application GUI framework.
It's actually changed everything I do for desktop and ARM
Cortex-A embedded GUI work (still need something for Cortex-M,
though), and I don't think I'll be going back.

The upcoming .Net Core 3.0 will include something called Razor
Components, previously called Server-Side Blazor.  It uses
Microsoft's SignalR (think web sockets) to create signals on the
server, slots on the client, and to push UI render changes to the
client.

Are you aware of SignalR, and do you see something similar
eventually being added to Spasm?

Also, what are the limitations that prevent the D runtime (just
druntime, not Phobos) from being ported to WASM?

Again, nice work!

Mike