Project Highlight: Spasm

Olivier FAURE couteaubleu at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 13:26:58 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 28 February 2019 at 12:24:27 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> The Blog:
> https://dlang.org/blog/2019/02/28/project-highlight-spasm/
>
> Reddit:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/avqioi/spasm_d_to_webassembly_for_single_page_apps/

I've seen spasm around quite a few times, but reading this
article has made me want to actually take a look at the
documentation and try to understand how the library works.

Would the author be interested in structural level-feedback? As
in, not "I wish there was this feature", but "I think the way
you're doing X and Y is wrong, and the project would probably
benefit from a complete refactoring".

I realize this kind of feedback is pretty irritating to get and
hard to act on several months into the project, hence why I'm
asking.

The short version is, it's pretty clear Sebastiaan has designed
spasm with the goal of giving the library compile-time
information on the structure of the widgets to render, to avoid
React's superfluous updates and prop comparison; that said, I
think it's possible to give the library that information without
losing React's "your components are all functions, don't worry
about how the data is updated" simplicity, which I think is an
area where spasm comes up short.

Anyway, I'm ready to spend more time documenting for a deeper
analysis if Sebastiaan is interested.