Project Highlight: Spasm

Sebastiaan Koppe mail at skoppe.eu
Fri Mar 1 14:27:36 UTC 2019

On Friday, 1 March 2019 at 13:26:58 UTC, Olivier FAURE wrote:
> Would the author be interested in structural level-feedback? As
> in, not "I wish there was this feature", but "I think the way
> you're doing X and Y is wrong, and the project would probably
> benefit from a complete refactoring".
>
> I realize this kind of feedback is pretty irritating to get and
> hard to act on several months into the project, hence why I'm
> asking.

Maybe. But in the beginning no one is willing to give it :)

I am very much interested in qualitative feedback on spasm's
internals and its design. It is the main reason I announced the
project. I am completely willing to overhaul each and every line
if that benefits the project.

> The short version is, it's pretty clear Sebastiaan has designed
> spasm with the goal of giving the library compile-time
> information on the structure of the widgets to render, to avoid
> React's superfluous updates and prop comparison; that said, I
> think it's possible to give the library that information
> without losing React's "your components are all functions,
> don't worry about how the data is updated" simplicity, which I
> think is an area where spasm comes up short.

That would be awesome. I initially tried very hard to stick to
React/JSX functional rendering. I could not find a way to make it
a zero-cost abstraction, but maybe you have more success!