Portable D compiler builds

kinke noone at nowhere.com
Sat Mar 30 14:18:05 UTC 2019

On Friday, 29 March 2019 at 20:40:08 UTC, Temtaime wrote:
> Yay, latest stable ldc was added alongside rdmd, ldmd2,
> dustmite and ddemangle tools for both ldc and dmd!

It's not quite clear to me what your goals are. Official DMD and
LDC packages are portable, don't require any external
dependencies either and ship with these tools.

Your DMD builds are 64-bit and compiled with LDC, vs. 32-bit and
DMD of official builds, so that's an improvement.

I downloaded your LDC build and after a quick glance noticed that
it's 32-bit (?) and contains
* just the x86 and x86_64 LLVM backends (e.g., no support for
WebAssembly and dcompute),
* a phobos.lib merging both druntime and Phobos (DMD-style,
unlike official LDC),
* NO debug and LTO versions of druntime/Phobos,
* NO dynamicCompile/JIT and compiler-rt libraries (e.g., needed
for profiling),
* superfluous imports (the internal/hidden gc and rt packages),
* NO imports/ldc/gccbuiltins*.di,
* NO readme and license files,
* NO `-link-defaultlib-shared=false` in the config file, so that
linking DLLs with `-shared` probably fails,
* the static MS libs which cannot be officially redistributed
(license...) but allow people to generate binaries not depending
on the MS runtime DLLs.

Once your goals are clearer, there may be much simpler solutions,
e.g., augmenting the official LDC builds by the MS libs instead
of the MinGW-based ones.