utiliD: A library with absolutely no dependencies for bare-metal programming and bootstrapping other D libraries

Eugene Wissner belka at caraus.de
Sun May 5 05:23:26 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 5 May 2019 at 03:45:41 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
> In an attempt to put some impetus behind an idea that I've
> proposed multiple times on the forum, I've resurrected my
> utiliD repository:  https://github.com/JinShil/utiliD  I
> decided to resurrect the repository after this brief
> discussion:
> https://forum.dlang.org/post/bjycwgrifumsfrhprjho@forum.dlang.org
>
> The idea behind the library is that it would not depend on
> druntime, phobos, C standard library, or anything else but
> would still offer many of the features that those libraries
> provide.  To utilize the library, one would only need a D
> compiler. It could be used in bare-metal programming, -betterC
> builds, or as a fundamental utility library for implementing
> DMD, druntime, and phobos themselves.
>
> It's what I envision as a potential seed for Andrei's opt-in
> continuum
> (https://forum.dlang.org/post/q7j4sl$17pe$1@digitalmars.com).
>
> I don't know what will ultimately happen with this library, if
> anything, but even if all it does is facilitate brainstorming
> of ideas, or as the genesis of some better idea, it will be a
> success.
>
> I don't have much time to work on it right now, as I'm
> currently preoccupied fixing the compiler and the druntime to
> make something like utiliD possible, but if others grok the
> idea and want to help make it a reality, your help is most
> welcome.
>
> Also, if any of you have already started something with the
> same goals, I'll be happy to drop this repository and join you.
>
> You can find me on Slack and Discord using the handle JinShil
> if you wish to have a dialog about this.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

you may remember that I'm working on a library named "tanya"
(https://github.com/caraus-ecms/tanya). It is now almost
phobos-free and I reimplemented some routines from libc for
x86-64 linux. Ideally I'd like to get rid of libc for some
platforms. While the library isn't interesting for you since it's
too high-level, it could be based on something like utilD. So, as
for me, I'd be very much interested in collective effort in this
direction and can contribute.