bool (was DConf 2019 AGM Livestream)

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed May 15 01:15:43 UTC 2019

On 5/14/19 2:00 AM, Mike Franklin wrote:
> On Wednesday, 15 May 2019 at 00:23:44 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>> There are many clowny things in D, of which bool is at best somewhere
>> beyond the radar. I suggest investing time * expertise in the larger
>> ones.
>
> Once again, I disagree with what you think is important.  `bool` is a
> fundamental type on which many things in D depend.

I'd be hard pressed to find my style cramped by D's bool.

> If it doesn't work
> right, neither will the features that depend on it.
> But, that's your
> decision, and there's little to nothing we can do about it, so I guess
> we just accept the fact that D is clowny and deal with it; it's what so
> many of us, so often do.

(At any rate, going forward it's not me who needs convincing.) In my
humble opinion, any language would have minor quirks, and a landmark of
good engineering is attacking the right problems. That we even discuss
just how bad bool is while we have no done deals for safety, reference
counting, shared, package distribution/versioning, pay-as-you-go
runtime, collections, ..., is a fascinating puzzle.