D GUI Framework (responsive grid teaser)

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Wed May 22 21:18:58 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 10:20 AM Ola Fosheim Grøstad via
Digitalmars-d-announce <digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 22 May 2019 at 17:01:39 UTC, Manu wrote:
> > You can make a UI run realtime ;)
> > I mean, there are video games that render a complete screen
> > full of
> > zillions of high-detail things every frame!
>
> But you shouldn't design a UI framework like a game engine.
>
> Especially not if you also want to run on embedded devices
> addressing pixels over I2C.

I couldn't possibly agree less; I think cool kids would design
literally all computer software like a game engine, if they generally
cared about fluid experience, perf, and battery life.
This extends to server software in data-centers, even more so in that
case. People really should look at games for how to write good
software in general.

There's a reason games can simulate a rich world full of dynamic data
and produce hundreds of frames a second, is because the industry has
spent decades getting really good at software design and patterns that
treat computers like computers with respect to perf.