D GUI Framework (responsive grid teaser)

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri May 24 10:12:10 UTC 2019

On Friday, 24 May 2019 at 08:42:48 UTC, Robert M. Münch wrote:
> Well, the main market I see for a software renderer is the
> embedded market and server rendering. Making money with
> development tools, components or frameworks is most likely only
> possible in the B2B sector.

Indeed. Software that should be easy to port to new hardware,
like point-of-sale terminals, calling systems etc.

I guess server rendering means that you can upgrade the software
without touching the clients, so that you have a network protocol
that transfers the graphics to a simple and cheap client-display.
Like, for floor information in a building.

>> Or do you plan on support CPUs where there is no GPU available?
>
> Currently we don't use a GPU, it's only CPU based. I think CPU
> rendering has its merits and is underestimated a lot.

You are probably right. What I find particularly annoying about
GPUs is that the OS vendors keep changing and deprecating the
APIs. Like Apple is no longer supporting OpenGL, IIRC.

Sadly, GPU features provide a short path to (forced) obsoletion…