D GUI Framework (responsive grid teaser)

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon May 27 05:01:36 UTC 2019

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 8:50 PM Ola Fosheim Grøstad via
Digitalmars-d-announce <digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Monday, 27 May 2019 at 03:35:48 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
> (Abscissa) wrote:
> > suggestion that Robert could get this going an order of
> > magnitude faster without too terribly much trouble. Luckily,
> > Ethan explained my stance better than I was able to.
>
> I think you guys overestimate the importance of performance at
> this early stage.

Performance is a symptom of architecture, and architecture *is* the early stage.

> The hardest problem is to create a good usability experience and
> also provide an easy to use API for the programmer.

They're somewhat parallel problems, although the architecture will
inform the API design substantially.
If you don't understand your architecture up front, then you'll likely
just write a typical ordinary thing, and then it doesn't matter what
the API looks like; someone will always feel compelled to re-write a
mediocre library.
I think it's possible to check both boxes, but it begins with
architectural concerns. That doesn't work as an afterthought... (or
you get Unity, or [insert library that you're not satisfied with])