D GUI Framework (responsive grid teaser)

Robert M. Münch robert.muench at saphirion.com
Mon May 27 07:53:17 UTC 2019

On 2019-05-27 04:46:42 +0000, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) said:

> Besides, from what Robert described, it sounds like he already has it
> decoupled and modular enough that performance *can* likely be improved
> later (probably by an order of magnitude) without too much disruption
> to it's core design. So, on that, believe it or not, it sounds like we
> already agree. ;)

That's the case. The 2D layer could be replaced. It's not yet perfectly
isolated and minified, because we are still learning & experimenting to
see how things fit together. Refactoring for isolation comes after this.

> And @Robert: FWIW, I *am* definitely curious to see where this project goes.

We too :-)

> Also: While it *looks* in the video like a simple grid being resized,
> you've commented that under-the-hood it's really more of a flexbox-like
> design.

Correct.

The grid is structured like this: root-> 1..X columns -> 1..Y cells per
column and the only property given is to use the available vertical and
horizontal space evenly.

> This suggests that the computations you're doing are (or will be)
> capable of far more flexibility than what is apparent in the video.

Yes, the idea is that you get a responsive app GUI, which resizes in a
smart way which fits your app layout. So, you have control over this.
Getting browsers to do what you want can be pretty tedious. We want to
avoid this.

> I'm curious what sorts of CSS flex-like features are currently being
> accommodated for in the computations, and are projected in the
> (hopefully?) near future?

The stuff that one really needs, so no frills. We want to create a node
structure with layout rules/hints per node and as a result you get a
perfect responsive layout for your app.

--
Robert M. Münch
http://www.saphirion.com