dud: A dub replacement

GoaLitiuM goalitium at dforums.mail.kapsi.fi
Sat Nov 23 10:33:35 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 23 November 2019 at 03:57:02 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:

>>> I only use the JSON format. JSON is widespread together with
>>> XML. SDL I heard first time of in the context of Dub and
>>> never seen it used elsewhere. TOML also I know only from
>>> Cargo. YAML at least I know from several different projects.
>>>
>>> I guess the tool must be working very well though if the main
>>> argument is what kind of data format to use :)
>>
>> I also only ever use JSON. When SDL was introduced, it was
>> promised "JSON will never be deprecated". And here people are
>> wanting to deprecate JSON as if SDL parsers were all that
>> numerous.
>>
>> JSON is the answer, SDL is the failed experiment that just
>> bring disagreement :)
>>
>> We DO parse dub.json a lot. I suspect any D organization
>> probably does because dub describe is slow.
>>
>> I don't care how "inhuman" a 20-line file is.
>
> +1
+1, and JSON as a main format would make sense too because
querying information from DUB registry is already being done in
JSON, so throwing in SDL would complicate things.

There's also plenty of JSON parsers out there, some of them being
extremely performant (like fast.json and asdf), but only one
(AFAIK) SDL parser with no ideas how fast it is. The performance
should not be ignored as every build operation requires parsing
all of the dependencies and their dependencies too which can
quickly accumulate with larger complicated projects.

The easy of modifying SDL vs JSON is a non-issue for me, you
don't spend that much time editing the configuration files while
developing your project.