Proposal for porting D runtime to WebAssembly

Sebastiaan Koppe mail at skoppe.eu
Sat Nov 23 16:17:29 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 23 November 2019 at 12:40:20 UTC, Ola Fosheim Gr
wrote:
> On Saturday, 23 November 2019 at 09:51:13 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe
> wrote:
>> This is my proposal for porting D runtime to WebAssembly. I
>> would like to ask you to review it. You can find it here:
>> https://gist.github.com/skoppe/7617ceba6afd67b2e20c6be4f922725d
>
> Yes, if I read this right the plan is to keep the runtime
> small. That is good, small footprint is important.

Small footprint is super important, especially when targeting the
browser.

The first stage is getting something to work though, but I will
definitely chisel bytes off afterwards.

> Also, if applicable, structure the object file in way that
> compress well (gzip). E.g. the layout of compiler emitted data
> structures and constants on the heap.

I don't know how much control we have (or want) over this. In the
end LLVM and wasm-lld do that and we just piggyback that.