Our community seems to have grown, so many people are joining the Facebook group

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 13:50:41 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 29 December 2020 at 13:04:42 UTC, Tobias Pankrath
wrote:
> You have a valid point, but still I am sure the facebook group
> is a net positive for the community. I'd see it as a digital
> version of a local user group.

It certainly has some benefits, especially in the past when there
was more activity and hostility in the dlang forums which could
alienate some users. So, yes, if it is local and friendly, and
people in the group direct members to the learn forum when they
have questions that go unanswered then it can be helpful. Many
islands is a net negative though. There has to be some kind of
networking between the communities.

Also, topical communities can be negative, in the sense that if
you have one 3D group, one audio group, one algorithm group then
a user trying to implement a game might miss out on the best
advice. That is a good reason to have one big community that has
"rooms" (forums) for each topic.