Our community seems to have grown, so many people are joining the Facebook group

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 15:06:07 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 29 December 2020 at 14:53:43 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 29 December 2020 at 11:34:38 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
> Sorry but I don't think you get it.

So, this hostile ad hominem tone is why it is beneficial with
local groups... I've studied online communities for many years,
please don't challenge me to a competition about who "does not
get it".

> These people are on Facebook, and it seems they would rather
> hear about D on Facebook. That's all there is to it.

No, the OP clearly stated that he made the group "official". That
is a deliberate attempt to fracture.

> You don't choose the platform that people prefer for hanging
> out.

That is not the topic. The topic is what approach is more
strategic.

If you end up with D-experts spread out on many "official" groups
then the net effect is likely to be negative. If a group has not
experts in it, then the newbies will get lower quality advice.

One can absolutely preempt the formation of many small groups by
increasing the quality of the central hub. Or one can destroy the
central hub.

Google quiet deliberately destroyed their central hub by
dismantling it and strongly advocating all Go users to direct all
their questions to stackoverflow. It was a very anti-social
approach, but Go is a bigger language than the other new
languages. Is there a correlation, hard to say. I wouldn't have
done it, but I cannot prove that it was a net negative.