Talk by Herb Sutter: Bridge to NewThingia

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Thu Jul 2 10:21:19 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 28 June 2020 at 21:00:09 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
> To be honest the analysis doesn't quite stack up. Because
> compatibility is not the reason for the success of Go, or Rust.

I think that's a misinterpretation of what was said.
Compatibility is not a reason for success -- but the _absence_ of
sufficient compatibility will always lead to failure.

I can't speak for Go, but Rust's compatibility is clearly
adequate given how Mozilla is able to fit it inside the (mostly
C++) Firefox codebase.