Talk by Herb Sutter: Bridge to NewThingia

Dibyendu Majumdar d.majumdar at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 18:22:54 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 2 July 2020 at 10:21:19 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling
wrote:
> On Sunday, 28 June 2020 at 21:00:09 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar
> wrote:
>> To be honest the analysis doesn't quite stack up. Because
>> compatibility is not the reason for the success of Go, or Rust.
>
> I think that's a misinterpretation of what was said.
> Compatibility is not a reason for success -- but the _absence_
> of sufficient compatibility will always lead to failure.

So why was Java successful? It was not compatible with an
existing language.
Neither Rust nor Go are compatible with C++.
Rust, D and Go are all compatible with C in some sense.

Basically Herb is claiming to succeed a language must be able to
be a drop in replacement for C++ in a mix-match way. I think it
is a fallacy.

There is no single recipe that will make a language successful.