From the D Blog: A Pattern for Head-mutable Structures

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 08:36:06 UTC 2020

On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 06:52:58 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:

> Isn't it possible to just paste to the search results?
> https://hn.algolia.com/?q=A+pattern+for+head+mutable
>
> Then presumably after clicking on comments you would be allowed
> to upvote.

I wouldn't be so sure. See the "Anti-Voting Manipulation" section
here:

https://github.com/minimaxir/hacker-news-undocumented

"One popular "trick" for obfuscating voting manipulation on
Hacker News is to link to the Hacker News's /newest page of new
submissions (instead of a direct link which would otherwise make
voting manipulation obvious), and asking friends to upvote the
submission from that page. This trick doesn't actually work."

I suspect they track HTTP referrers and red flag multiple hits to
the same link from the same referrer. However they do it, I would
expect linking directly to search results is something they
account for.