Talk by Herb Sutter: Bridge to NewThingia

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Jun 29 20:41:13 UTC 2020

On Monday, 29 June 2020 at 18:29:54 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Mon, 2020-06-29 at 12:41 +0000, Paulo Pinto via
> Digitalmars-d-announce
> wrote:
> […]
>>
>> Concepts, coroutines, and modules are already in ISO C++20.
>
> Only once the standard is voted in.  :-)
>
> Also ranges are in I believe.
>
>> And co-routines are in a much better story than the
>> incompatible runtimes currently existing for Rust async/await
>> story.
>
> I have not used C++ co-routines, but having used Rust
> co-routines, they seem fine. You need to make good on your
> negative criticism – which I would like to hear.

Rust has only standardized part of the async/await story, the
asynchronous
runtime is not part of the standard library, so currently it is
impossible to write code that works flawlessly across the
existing runtimes.

https://stjepang.github.io/2020/04/03/why-im-building-a-new-async-runtime.html

Additionally there are still rough edges with lifetimes across
async/await calls.

>> Rust still needs to improve a lot on its tooling and ecosystem
>> to cover many of the scenarios we use C++ for, even if is
>> safer.
>
> I can believe that may be true for others, but for me JetBrains
> CLion, Rustup, and Cargo make for an excellent environment.
> crates.io works very well – better than CLion, CMake, and lots
> of manual hacking around to get libraries for C++.

The typical scenarios where we would use GPGPU shaders, iDevices,
Android and Windows drivers, Arduino, SYCL, DPC++, Unreal,
XBox/PS/Switch SDKs, ...

>> Already the fact that it lacks an ISO standard is a no go in
>> many domains.
>
> That is a choice for those organisations. I am guessing those
> organisations do not use Java, D, Python, etc.

Java has a standard to guide for, updated for each language
release.

So it doesn't need to be ISO, can be ECMA, or some other formal
writen  specification, with multiple vendor implementations.