Talk by Herb Sutter: Bridge to NewThingia

Patrick Schluter Patrick.Schluter at bbox.fr
Mon Jun 29 15:44:38 UTC 2020

On Monday, 29 June 2020 at 12:17:57 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Mon, 2020-06-29 at 10:31 +0000, IGotD- via
> Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> Another rant…
>
> …batteries included standard libraries are a thing of the 1990s
> and earlier. They are a reflection of pre-Internet thinking.
> You got a language distribution, and everything else was home
> grown.
>
> Now we have the Internet you can get libraries via download.
> Languages come with the minimal library needed to function and
> all else is gettable. Go, Rust, Python, and other languages
> have this (even though Python still has a batteries included
> standard library). C++ has moved on to this idea; Conan (or
> other system) hasn't really caught on in C++ circles. Ditto
> Fortran, still using pre-2000 thinking.

And that is completely wrong headed. Internet is not always
directly accessible. There are a lot of companies that restrict
access to the Internet for their security sensible servers,
intranets etc. University people often have no clue what is
standard in the corporate or the public office world. To give an
example from the EU Commission. A good portion of our servers are
isolated on an Intranet with very restricted access to the
Internet via proxys for which access has to be requested for to
the IT service. Out Intranet is deployed over different sites in
Europe but the trafic is not routed over the Internet but over
specialized network reserved for public institutions in Europe.
The few bridges to the Internet in that network are surveilled
like Fort Knox. There are also special rooms throughout our
premises that are not even connected to the Intranet. Building
software for these special machines has become a real challenge
nowadays.
These security issues are not even the strictest I've seen or
heard of here in Luxembourg with all its banking companies.

No, Internet is not always as easy peasy and having a language
that can live alone and provide quite a lot of features without
always calling home is a good thing.
That's why I always ranted several versions ago when Visual
Studio was nearly forced upon the user. Visual Studio and all
Microsoft stuff is extremely difficult to install with a poor
Internet connection (the setup didn't even accept a proxy).

Sorry, my rant.