Talk by Herb Sutter: Bridge to NewThingia

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 16:47:27 UTC 2020

On Monday, 29 June 2020 at 15:44:38 UTC, Patrick Schluter wrote:
> [snip]
>
> And that is completely wrong headed.

+1

As much as I'm sympathetic to the arguments for a slim standard
library, the amount of problems I've had in a corporate setting
trying to get libraries installed behind firewalls/proxies makes
me glad for the larger one. Until a few years ago, I had to
manually download every R library and every single one of their
dependencies and manage them myself. It's one reason I really
like run.dlang.org. I've never had a problem with it.

Of course, I see nothing wrong with a high bar for entry into the
standard library or the sort of promotion/relegation-type
approach I've heard on the forums.