DIP 1028 "Make @safe the Default" is dead

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat May 30 01:16:54 UTC 2020

On 5/29/2020 4:47 PM, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
> I’m not sure who in this analogy is the Kenny G and who the Clive Davis,

Haha, I was deliberately vague about that, so people could interpret it as they
pleased.

> Off topic, and without extending the analogy, I had never heard about Kenny G

He was the big cheese about 30 years ago.

> until I came across Pat Metheny’s rant about him. It’s a well reasoned critique,
> and it seems to me that the expertise in our community is a lot higher than
> Kenny G’s musical expertise.
> http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm

 From your cite:

"This controversy seems to be largely fueled by the fact that he sells an
enormous amount of records while not being anywhere near a really great player
in relation to the standards that have been set on his instrument over the past
sixty or seventy years."

This is where Clive Davis comes in, who apparently had a "golden ear" for what
would be commercially successful and what wouldn't. He made a long stream of
nobodies into celebrities. Whitney Houston was another. The documentary is a
great counterpart to the popular notion that record companies only take
advantage of the artists.