DIP 1028 "Make @safe the Default" is dead

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Fri May 29 23:47:27 UTC 2020

On Friday, 29 May 2020 at 20:36:12 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/29/2020 7:22 AM, Paul Backus wrote:
>> This is sad news. I was excited for @safe-by-default, and had
>> hoped that the issue with extern(C) could be solved without
>> throwing DIP 1028 away entirely.
>
> I watched a documentary on Clive Davis (famous recording
> executive) the other day. He would advise his clients, like
> Kenny G, Barry Manilow, etc., on how they should arrange and
> position their songs.
>
> Kenny G (famous clarinet player) said Davis recommended he add
> a vocal track, as that will sell more records. KG asks are you
> advising, or telling me? Davis says he's advising. KG does it
> his own way, and the record is a hit. KG triumphantly tells
> Davis what do you think of that now? Davis replies if KG had
> followed his advice, he'd have sold even more records.

I’m not sure who in this analogy is the Kenny G and who the Clive
Davis, and we probably will never know for sure.

Off topic, and without extending the analogy, I had never heard
about Kenny G until I came across Pat Metheny’s rant about him.
It’s a well reasoned critique, and it seems to me that the
expertise in our community is a lot higher than Kenny G’s musical
expertise.
http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm

— Bastiaan