Preparing for Google Summer of Code 2021

Andre Pany andre at s-e-a-p.de
Mon Nov 23 10:24:28 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 15 November 2020 at 10:46:01 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> Recently, Google put out an announcement on the GSoC mailing
> list about their plans for GSoC 2021. They're doing things
> differently this time.
>
> A big change is that the event is being cut down to 10 weeks,
> with 2 evaluations rather than 3. That means we will need to
> think of project ideas that fit into a shorter time period than
> in the past.
>
> Everyone, please start thinking of suitable projects and
> submitting your ideas to the dlang/projects repository:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/projects
>
> Mentor stipends on the new schedule are set at $400, so it's
> not much less than before. We encourage those of you with solid
> D experience, or domain experience related to any of the
> potential projects in the repository above, to put yourself
> forward as a potential mentor.
>
> They're also relaxing the eligibility requirements to allow
> participation from a broader range of applicants:
>
> "In 2020 there are many ways students are learning and we want
> to acknowledge that so we will be allowing students who are 18
> years old AND currently enrolled (or accepted into) a
> post-secondary academic program as of May 17, 2021 or have
> graduated from a post-secondary academic program between
> December 1, 2020 and May 17, 2021 to apply to the GSoC program.
>
> What this means is that now the program will be open to folks
> participating in a variety of different academic programs, not
> just accredited university programs. This includes licensed
> coding camps, community colleges, and many other programs that
> may not be accredited yet but are post-secondary academic
> programs."

I created two issues in the repository
(https://github.com/dlang/projects)
but I do not know, how to set the gsoc2020 label. I assume others
may have edit authorizations on the repository and therefore are
able
to set the labels.
For now, I prefixed the issue titles with gsoc2020:

https://github.com/dlang/projects/issues/75
https://github.com/dlang/projects/issues/76

Kind regards
André