Symmetry Investments and the D Language Foundation are Hiring

Petar Petar
Wed Sep 2 09:53:44 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 1 September 2020 at 16:45:55 UTC, drug wrote:
> On 9/1/20 7:34 PM, Petar Kirov [ZombineDev] wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 1 September 2020 at 12:59:00 UTC, Mathias LANG
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Agreed. A server approach would probably scale much better,
>>> if the intent is to speed up the developer's CTR cycle.
>>> But in any case, thanks to Symmetry for doing this! This is
>>> huge.
>>
>> We need both a fs-watcher daemon support and "offline"
>> incremental build support, based on SHA-256 (note that git is
>> moving away from SHA1 to SHA256 [1]). I'd say SHA-256 is cheap
>> enough these days [2] that I don't see a reason not to use it
>> even for "online" fs-watcher daemon compilation.
>>
>> [1]: https://git-scm.com/docs/hash-function-transition/
>> [2]: https://bench.cr.yp.to/impl-hash/sha256.html
>
> We can easily use the following option:
> ```
> dub build --hash=sha1
> dub build --hash=sha256
> ```
> and let the user to make the final choice

I understand your idea to make this configurable, but this will
introduce more complexity than necessary because then
$HOME/.dub/packages will have build artifacts based on both SHA1
and SHA256, and so dub will need to support mixed mode file
integrity checking.