GCC 10.2.1 Released

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Fri Sep 4 22:00:51 UTC 2020

On Friday, 4 September 2020 at 15:12:54 UTC, wjoe wrote:
> On Tuesday, 1 September 2020 at 17:53:04 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>>
>> Some parts of the infrastructure could do with some TLC.
>
> I'm not familiar with the acronym 'TLC'.

Tender loving care.  It could be done better, but no one's
looking to improve it.

>> CI currently uses semaphore CI for native x86_64, and
>> Buildkite with a couple
>> hosted Linux VMs for testing various cross-compilers.  I used
>> to have ARM and
>> ARM64 bare metal servers with Scaleway, but sadly they decided
>> to scrap them.
>>
>> Ideas that could be investigated:
>>
>>   1. Is Cirrus CI good enough to build gdc?  And if so, look
>> into adding
>>      Windows, MacOSX, and FreeBSD platforms to the pipeline.
>>

> What does 'good enough' mean ?

It means, can Cirrus CI actually build gdc and run through the
testsuite without being killed by the pipeline?

Travis CI for instance is rubbish, because:
- Hardware is really slow.
- Kills jobs that take longer than 50 minutes.
- Kills jobs if a 3GB memory limit is exceeded.
- Kills jobs that don't print anything for more than 10 minutes.
- Truncates logs to first 2000 lines.

> I found this reply (March/2019) by Johannes Pfau here [1]:
>> We use https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/gcc for CI, but
>> commits will go to the GCC SVN first, so GCC SVN or snapshot
>> tarballs is the recommended way to get the latest GDC.
>
> Is this information still up to date ?
>
> There's a semaphore folder. I suppose that's the one currently
> used with Semaphore CI. Is there something else ?

There's also buildkite [1] and repo [2] (which has been failing
since the ARM bare metal servers got taken down).

[1] https://buildkite.com/d-programming-gdc/gcc
[2] https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/buildkite-gdc

> PS. Sorry for the Announce group abuse.

We can take this to D.gnu instead. :-)