trash-d: Replacement for rm that uses the trash bin

rushsteve1 rushsteve1 at rushsteve1.us
Wed Aug 25 13:30:36 UTC 2021

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

---

On Wednesday, 25 August 2021 at 06:11:04 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> Cool! How does it compare to the `trash` command from the
> `trash-cli` package?

To quote the `trash-cli` README

> Although the interface of trash-put seems to be compatible with
> rm, it has different semantics which will cause you problems.
> For example, while rm requires -R for deleting directories
> trash-put does not.

`trash-d` tries to mimic `rm`'s semantics as much as possible. It
also unifies all the different `trash-*` commands that
`trash-cli` provides into a single one with flags. One of my
goals with `trash-d` was to make a simpler and smaller
alternative to `trash-cli`.

The only advantage that `trash-cli` has that I know of (aside
from maturity at this point) is that it handles `.Trash/`
directories on separate drives/partitions while `trash-d` always
moves to the one in the user's home. Both approaches are
spec-compliant, so I opted for the simpler one.