trash-d: Replacement for rm that uses the trash bin

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 18:37:33 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 25 August 2021 at 13:30:36 UTC, rushsteve1 wrote:
> `trash-d` tries to mimic `rm`'s semantics as much as possible.
> It also unifies all the different `trash-*` commands that
> `trash-cli` provides into a single one with flags. One of my
> goals with `trash-d` was to make a simpler and smaller
> alternative to `trash-cli`.

That makes sense, thanks!

> The only advantage that `trash-cli` has that I know of (aside
> from maturity at this point) is that it handles `.Trash/`
> directories on separate drives/partitions while `trash-d`
> always moves to the one in the user's home. Both approaches are
> spec-compliant, so I opted for the simpler one.

I suggest investigating that as a future improvement. Not only is
moving files within the same volume much faster (potentially an
O(1) operation as opposed to having to read then write every byte
of data), but it can also result in space savings (in the case of
filesystem snapshots).