D Language Foundation Monthly Meeting Summary

drug drug2004 at bk.ru
Fri Jun 4 14:07:38 UTC 2021

04.06.2021 16:32, Ola Fosheim Grøstad пишет:
> On Friday, 4 June 2021 at 12:44:07 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
>> GC won't go away tho. What might happen is more flexibility. The
>> GC-phobia is irrational.
>
> The topic doesn't fit in this thread, but it isn't irrational.
>
> You have to wait for all participating threads to be ready to collect,
> so it isn't only about collection speed. In essence you end up with some
> of the same issues as with cooperative multitasking.
>
> And it is also obvious that collection speed will drop as your
> application grows and you start working with larger datasets.
>
> So, you might initially think it is fine, but end up rewriting your
> codebase because it only worked well with the simple prototype you
> started with.
>
> That's not a good strategy.
>
> (but ok for batch programs)

I use GC when developing an algorithm to solve my problem. After I has
implemented the algorithm I can redesign it to avoid GC (if needed). It
works pretty nice in my case at least. Because initially I concentrate
on my domain problem and then I only deal with memory management. This
separation is very helpful.
Also there is no rewriting when you switch to manual management - you
just add new code, no replacing old code. Again often API  is worse
after switching than in case of GC.