D Language Foundation Monthly Meeting Summary

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 14:19:21 UTC 2021

On Friday, 4 June 2021 at 14:07:38 UTC, drug wrote:
> I use GC when developing an algorithm to solve my problem.
> After I has implemented the algorithm I can redesign it to
> avoid GC (if needed). It works pretty nice in my case at least.
> Because initially I concentrate on my domain problem and then I
> only deal with memory management. This separation is very
> helpful.

Yes, if you select that strategy from the start.

But think for a moment how much easier it would be if the
language had ownership pointers. I also believe that careful
usage of ownership pointers in combination with precise scanning
could lead to much less memory being scanned.

There are no language features in D that support GC-strategies.
That's not a strength.

They can be remedied, but it takes willpower.