D Language Foundation Quarterly Meeting, October 2021

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 12:02:43 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 6 November 2021 at 15:46:57 UTC, JN wrote:
> On Friday, 5 November 2021 at 13:19:24 UTC, zjh wrote:
>> D can aim at `experts`, especially `meta programming users`.
>> On this point,`rust` can't compete.
>> `Silky general meta programming`.
>> Use my `strengths` to attack theirs weaknesses.
>>

> This is much less of a strength than you think. For 90% of
> cases, lack of metaprogramming is resolved by putting a Python
> script in build step that autogenerates the necessary code.

Python has no idea about D syntax or semantics (or any other
language not called Python), and therefore can't even do
something as simple as "what are all the D structs in module x".
You'd have to invent a templating language on top of the code
you're already writing, then write some Python code to parse and
generate on top of *that*.

To me, that's like saying that C/Fortran aren't that big of a
deal compared to assembly. Who needs for loops, amirite?