Surprise - New Post on the GtkD Coding Blog

Adam D Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 19:35:21 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 7 September 2021 at 12:29:14 UTC, Dukc wrote:
> On Friday, 3 September 2021 at 18:52:13 UTC, Adam D Ruppe wrote:
>> (i loathe and despise wayland but ill try not to rant)
>
> Have you written more about this on your blog?

I have not (well.... not directly anyway, wayland flamewars is
one of the things that directly inspired this post:
http://dpldocs.info/this-week-in-d/Blog.Posted_2021_03_08.html#adam's-rant ).

The short version is the wayland devs were hyperfocused on one
use case and missed the big picture. This led them to wrongly
believe that the majority of X is completely useless legacy
bloat, so instead of patching up the one use case, they threw it
all out.

...then they have spent 13 years slowly reinventing it doing
extension after extension and revision after revision after
revision, and still haven't actually even reliably fixed the one
issue they complained about... while X actually did patch it up
if you opt into it (via the dri2 and sync extensions) and it does
a pretty good job. They also bring up spurious security
complaints - which have been around since the 90's btw but never
materialized into a real problem - which are also patched via X
extensions or nested servers. It could certainly be better but a
version 1.1 or 2.0 of the security extension could realistically
fix that up, no need to throw everything out. (Notice how
Microsoft made similar changes in Windows without a significant
breakage of backward and interoperation compatibility.)

So they broke everything for no benefit. Again. It is just like
the broken audio stuff.

And then it really annoys me that the wayland proponents are
rarely well educated on X, saying things that are just untrue. So
that ups the flamewars to 11.