Bison 3.8.1 released with D backend

Tejas notrealemail at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 02:15:47 UTC 2021

On Wednesday, 15 September 2021 at 17:55:19 UTC, Paul Backus
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 15 September 2021 at 14:48:06 UTC, Tejas wrote:
>> Assuming I'm correct:
>>
>> What does it matter whether the parser is a `.c .cpp .d .pl`
>> or whatever file?
>>
>> I'm really sorry I'm coming off as abrasive/ungrateful. I have
>> no intention to belittle the author or the work she has done.
>>
>> But I'm really curious: What changes if `Bison` outputs it's
>> parser in some language other than the one it originally
>> targeted(perhaps that was C?)
>
> Generally speaking, a parser is not a program that you'd run in
> isolation. When you generate a parser with Bison, it's usually
> because you want to incorporate that parser into some larger
> program, like a compiler or a language server.
>
> In general, having Bison output its parser in $LANGUAGE makes
> it easier to incorporate that parser into larger programs
> written in $LANGUAGE. So giving Bison the ability to output D
> makes it easier to incorporate Bison-generated parsers into D
> programs.

Yep, that's what I thought of in Discord and was validated there
as well that this was it :D

After a while, my mind started drifting that `pegged` already
does this,  but then I realized it probably doesn't create
`LALR(1)` parsers, only sticking to Expression Grammars, but
Bison does that.