DIP 1038--"@mustUse" (formerly "@noDiscard")--Accepted

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 22:58:39 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 2 February 2022 at 21:23:16 UTC, Dukc wrote:

> So this explains why the DIP lingered so long in formal
> assessment. I think the reason for the delay is good in itself,
> but it would have been better to update us a bit more on why
> the assessment is taking so long. From the outside it seemed
> it's likely forgotten.

No, that wasn’t the reason for the delay. Delays in the DIP
process always come down to someone waiting for a response from
someone else. Everyone involved has multiple priorities, so when
the next move comes down to any one person, it will happen when
that person is ready to make it happen.

In this case, Walter took much longer than usual to get to his
initial review. I’ve set a 30-day window for this, but this time
he went over. The email discussions with Paul happened over a
relatively short period. Then there was a long delay while we
waited for Paul to get the changes made. I was busy enough that I
put all DIPs out of mind for a while, so I wasn’t pinging him
asking for an update.

And this is not a fault with Paul. This happens with nearly every
DIP. All of the DIPs that have begun the process and are
currently in the queue  are stalled waiting for the authors to
tell me they’re ready to move to the next round. I ping them
periodically, and eventually they’ll be ready.

In any case, if there’s no news on a DIP, it’s almost always
because someone is waiting on someone else. If I’m not the reason
someone is waiting, then the only update I would ever be able to
give is “we’re waiting”.