DIP 1038--"@mustUse" (formerly "@noDiscard")--Accepted

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 17:08:56 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 2 February 2022 at 22:58:39 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> No, that wasn’t the reason for the delay. Delays in the DIP
> process always come down to someone waiting for a response from
> someone else. Everyone involved has multiple priorities, so
> when the next move comes down to any one person, it will happen
> when that person is ready to make it happen.
>
> In this case, Walter took much longer than usual to get to his
> initial review. I’ve set a 30-day window for this, but this
> time he went over. The email discussions with Paul happened
> over a relatively short period. Then there was a long delay
> while we waited for Paul to get the changes made. I was busy
> enough that I put all DIPs out of mind for a while, so I wasn’t
> pinging him asking for an update.

An honest explaination.

> And this is not a fault with Paul. This happens with nearly
> every DIP. All of the DIPs that have begun the process and are
> currently in the queue  are stalled waiting for the authors to
> tell me they’re ready to move to the next round. I ping them
> periodically, and eventually they’ll be ready.

Not Pauls fault nor yours. Were all more or less busy and/or lazy.

> In any case, if there’s no news on a DIP, it’s almost always
> because someone is waiting on someone else. If I’m not the
> reason someone is waiting, then the only update I would ever be
> able to give is “we’re waiting”.

Which would tell that it's not forgotten. You're technically
right, what would we do with the information that a DIP is not
(or is) forgotten? Perhaps ping sometimes ourselves but that's it.

But I think it still might have a bit morale value to do that
"we're waiting" update if a formal assesment misses that 30-day
window you mentioned, for instance. May be just my taste, though.