DIP 1038--"@mustUse" (formerly "@noDiscard")--Accepted

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 19:57:28 UTC 2022

On Monday, 7 February 2022 at 13:55:40 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:

> I've seen similar sentiments expressed many times before, in
> other contexts. Every time, there are some who insist that the
> new name will never feel natural to them, and they will never
> let go of the old name. And every time, history proves them
> wrong.
>
> The fact is, human brains are quite plastic and adaptable.
> You'll get used to @mustUse, just like I did, and so will
> everyone else.

First, I'm not 'insisting' on anything. I'm just expressing a
view.

nodiscard is already used by more programmers that D is likely to
ever adopt.

Indeed, it's these programmers that D is trying to adopt.

I'm not sure forcing such people to adapt is necessarily the
right approach.

that is my point.

it's not necessary. you making it necessary ;-)