DIP 1038--"@mustUse" (formerly "@noDiscard")--Accepted

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 14:30:30 UTC 2022

On Monday, 7 February 2022 at 19:57:28 UTC, forkit wrote:
> First, I'm not 'insisting' on anything. I'm just expressing a
> view.
>
> nodiscard is already used by more programmers that D is likely
> to ever adopt.
>
> Indeed, it's these programmers that D is trying to adopt.
>
> I'm not sure forcing such people to adapt is necessarily the
> right approach.

I'll have to side with forkit there.

In audio software (at the very least) you pay very dearly the
price of introducing new _words_, because the existing words
embodies existing meaning and practice that users have
internalized.

If you call your "Amount" parameter "Dry/wet" instead, then
misunderstandings will happen for years without ever a chance to
correct them, because "Dry/wet" means something already in the
users mind.

If you call your mutex a "synchronizer" then you have to tell
everyone what is a synchronizer, why it is needed as a concept,
and so on. Think: "slices" and "dynamic arrays" in D, a
distinction that is of no use and begets a lot of
misunderstandings.

Hence some does of of reusing, reduce mental load. Paucity of
words helps the cast of D explainers.