Why I Like D

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 16:14:54 UTC 2022

On 1/12/22 10:41 AM, Adam D Ruppe wrote:
> On Wednesday, 12 January 2022 at 15:25:37 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>>     However it turns out that unless you are writing a computer
>>     game, a high frequency trading system, a web server
>
> Most computer games and web servers use GC too.
>
> idk about hf trading.

Yeah, I had trouble agreeing with that statement too.

For computer gaming even, GC is not horrific as long as you aren't
allocating and freeing loads of things every frame. And a web server
works great I think with GC. vibe-d makes non-stop use of the GC
(allocating a bunch of class objects for every request).

sub-second latency is also quite possible even with a stop-the-world GC.

Look at Sociomantic -- they still used the GC, just made sure to
minimize the possibility of collections.

I wonder if there is just so much fear of the GC vs people who actually
tried to use the GC and it failed to suit their needs. I've never been
afraid of the GC in my projects, and it hasn't hurt me at all.

-Steve