Why I Like D

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Jan 12 16:22:00 UTC 2022

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 11:14:54AM -0500, Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
[...]
> Look at Sociomantic -- they still used the GC, just made sure to
> minimize the possibility of collections.
>
> I wonder if there is just so much fear of the GC vs people who
> actually tried to use the GC and it failed to suit their needs. I've
> never been afraid of the GC in my projects, and it hasn't hurt me at
> all.
[...]

Like I said, my suspicion is that it's more of a knee-jerk reaction to
the word "GC" than anything actually founded in reality, like somebody
actually wrote a game in D and discovered the GC is a problem vs
somebody is *thinking* about writing a game in D, then thinks about the
GC, then balks because of the expectation that the GC is going to do
something bad like kill the hypothetical framerate or make the
not-yet-implemented animation jerky.

Those who actually wrote code and found GC performance problems would
have just slapped @nogc on their code or inserted GC.disable at the
beginning of the game loop and called it a day, instead of getting all
knotted up in the forums about why GC is bad in principle.

I'm still trying to find a pun for "punishment"...